About Me

My photo
I'm a busy mom, working professional, and lover of all things fitness. I've lost 20 lbs in and kept it off for the past 2 years without stepping foot in a gym. I'm all about learning to be a better ME and paying it forward. Contact me at http://fb.me/tamaragomez18 or tamara.gomez18@gmail.com

Friday, September 9, 2011

I'm The Most Motivated LAZY Person Ever... And Here's My Secret...


The other day someone said to me, in reply to one of my Facebook posts, "I want to be like you one day."  This person was referring to my motivation and dedication to the lifestyle that I've chosen to lead, which is basically just to be healthier in general.  People tell me that I motivate them and inspire them and it kind of makes me chuckle, cause I don't think I view myself the way others see me.  Do we ever?  We are our own biggest critics; we can never see ourselves objectively.


Here's the truth about me (in my eye) and I would take a guess that the people closest to me would agree...


If you're at all familiar with the book Personality Plus, I am a Peaceful Phlegmatic.  If you're 
not familiar with it, READ IT, it's great!  Here's the description of a Peaceful Phlegmatic:


Phlegmatic: This is the flat-type. They are easy going, laid back, nonchalant, unexcitable and relaxed. Desiring a peaceful environment above all else. 


A peaceful phlegmatic is neutral - they tend not to actively upset people, but their indifference may frustrate people. They try not to make decisions, and generally go for the status quo. They care about people and harmony. 


This describes me to a T, I think.  I'm super laid-back; I just go with the flow.  I take things in stride; in fact my favorite saying is "It is what it is".  And that will soon be a tattoo…  I'm lazy, I don't like to exert more energy or effort than is necessary.  My moods are pretty flat; I don't get overly excited one way or the other.  I'm just calm and steady.  I love to sleep, I HATE waking up early.  Anytime before noon is early in my book.  I love to eat bad foods, I would eat tacos all day every day, and I have at times.  I love to watch TV.  I often tell Syed that in my next life I want to be a cat, so I could sleep all day (a pampered cat, not an alley cat.  Just putting that out to the universe so there's no confusion).  ;-)


So how do you reconcile all of this with the person I have become more recently?  It was a choice.  All of the above mentioned, the eating and watching TV and being generally lazy, coupled with having a desk job where all that moves for 8 hours a day is my fingers, type, type, typing away, let to me being FAT, unhappy, unconfident, sluggish, sick all the time… generally just miserable.  Was I obese? No.  Was I unhealthy, YES!  And 20 extra pounds on a 5'0" frame is a lot of weight.


I made the decision that in SPITE of the above traits, enough was enough and something had to change.  I work through the barriers.  I push past the doubts.  I tell myself that I have NO limitations.  The motivation that I have comes from simply taking action and CREATING motivation.  It does not come naturally.  Do I curse every morning when my alarm goes off and I know I have to get up and work out?  Heck yes!  I do it because I HAVE to.  It's non-negotiable.  And when I'm done, the feeling of accomplishment is worth it.  I tell myself that I have worked my a$$ off for the past 2 years and there is NO WAY I'm going back to where I was.  I have created healthy habits.  That's all it is, a habit.  ANYONE can create a new habit.  Am I perfect?  No way!  I try my best to be consistent and balanced.  I get lazy, tired, worn out; there are days when I don't want to eat right or exercise.  Sometimes I give in and that's ok, we all deserve a break, and this is a work in progress.  But for the most part I do it anyway, because it's important to me.  I don't sit around waiting for motivation and inspiration, I make it happen, cause it's not going to come along and smack me in the head.


I read personal development to keep my mind filled with positivity.  I surround myself with positive people that encourage me.  People that have what I already want and so it gives me something to strive for.  And I keep myself accountable by helping others, which has become my passion and my drive in life.  For once I AM excited about something!  And on the days that I want to just be lazy… I remind myself that I have put myself out there, people are watching, and if I were to suddenly come back 20 pounds heavier again, I would be letting people down, including myself.  That thought keeps me going.  Sometimes the best motivation is knowing that others are counting on you.


So for the person that wants to be like me…  I do what I do, not just for me and for my family, but to show YOU that you can do it too… but don't try to be like me, just be the best version of YOURSELF possible.  Quit with the excuses and just get started, now!  And if you need help and a little motivation, I'm here for you… :)

No comments:

Post a Comment